Sunday, December 6, 2020

Grandmother's Wooing

 


William Paul, on Old Deck, about 1892


Around 1893 or so – Grandmother, Victoria Rosser, would have been 16 , and my grandfather, Bill Paul, 17 – Bill started riding up to the Rosser house on his horse, Old Deck, asking to see Grandmother. They had known each other since the Rossers came to Indian Territory seven year earlier, and may have been in the same school together. But apparently Grandpa refused to let Bill in, or Vick out, since their feelings for each other were mutual. I thought at first his opposition to their relationship might have been prejudice against Indians, but that didn’t really make sense since the Chickasaws were the most prominent members of the community, but Bill wasn’t just any Chickasaw. His father, Sam Paul, had been the Progressive candidate for Chickasaw governor, until he was murdered by his own son, Bill’s older brother Joe, in 1891. And if that hadn’t been enough family scandal, Joe himself was murdered in 1895 by his cousin,  Jennison. 

In the meantime, Vick’s mother died of a tumor in her abdomen, so Vick and Bill were probably drawn together even more since both had recently lost a parent. After his wife’s death Grandpa sent Vick and her younger sister, Ada, to stay with their older sister, Cora, who was divorced and living in the nearby town of Wynnewood, where she had opened a millinery (hat) shop. “Old Sis,” as Vick called Cora, was even more opposed to her love affair with the young Chickasaw than her father, so this arrangement just led to more tension. That’s when Grandpa sent Vick to Georgia to visit his mother, Sarah Rosser Lumpkin, to try and cool things down a bit.

Here’s a letter Vick received from Grandmother Lumpkin after her return from Georgia. 

 1895: Envelope: To: Miss Victoria Rosser, Wynnewood, Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory.

            From: Cedartown, Ga., 1895

To Vicie,

Dear Grandaughter

I received your letter also ---- little ears which were the first I ever saw of the kind. (Mamma must have sent her some animal ears which were intended as a good luck charm) We had a very smart statesman of whom it was said that he carried a rabbit foot in his pocket for luck. I think if there is anything in it, that one of those ears would do as well. I want you to write a long letter. When you wrote me you did not say anything about Cora and I have not heard from her since she first got home. (Mamma’s sister Cora must have recently visited their grandmother. She got a divorce from her husband about this time so it may have been that event that occasioned her visit) I am very anxious to hear from her - we should be glad if she could be near us so we could see her any time - We also hope to see you and little Sis (Sister Ada) I forgot to keep the size of the square I sent you, but you can send me the length of it in your letters, with piece. (I can’t make out all the words but Grandma Lumpkin was apparently sending her granddaughter pieces of material for a quilt Mamma was making for her hope chest.) - thanked? Ada - you and she were getting on well with your music which I want to hear (the melodian) - you must persevere and keep up your practice, and do not neglect it to make a quilt - The snow gin away very slowly - Cora carried a pacel of things for your ma’s grave but the weather has been very unfavorable to work with flowers - The cold has just withered my flowers - I have a friend in town who has saved some. I had a letter from Kittie (another of Mamma’s older sisters) last night saying all wise well - give love to all of the family and write soon to your affectionate

Grand Ma SDL (Sarah Dismukes Lumpkin - Dismukes was her maiden name)

Footnote: Scans Family - My Scans - Scan 0002 - 2-1 & 2. From family Bible.

Victoria Rosser, in about 1892

Around the time Vick visited her grandmother in Georgia, Bill got married !  To his cousin, Abbie McClure. I guess he just gave up on Vick since the Rossers were determined to keep them apart. But then something happened that changed everything. Abbie’s brother murdered Bill’s brother Joe. The Paul and McClure families’ relationships were complicated, and I won’t try and explain them since I don’t understand them either, but after Joe's death, Bill’s marriage to Abbie soured, and his relationship with Vick Rosser started up again. 

The scandals continued. In 1897 Jennison was found run over by a train, with bullet holes in his chest. Bill and his brother Buck were prime suspects in the presumed murder, but neither was indicted. When I asked my mother about it, she said simply, “Pappa and Uncle Buck were away at school. They couldn’t have done it.” Actually Sherman, Texas, isn’t that far from Pauls Valley, even on horseback. 

So, in spite of Bill’s marriage, he and Vick kept seeing each other, and in November of 1898 they were married only a month after his divorce from Abbie McClure. 

Here’s another letter from Grandmother Lumpkin, just a couple of months before her wedding. 

Cedartown, Ga                                                                     July 9, 1898

     Dear Vicie

                  Your good letter to hand, picture a fine substantial looking fellow and strong. - you say you would not have him go to the War (The Spanish American War). He looks well fitted by nature for campaigning. I hope however he will not have to go for now - I think the War may end pretty soon - we have destroyed the Spanish fleet at Santiago and will bombard the city if they do not surrender very soon - I am glad to hear that you all are well and that you have a good prospect ahead and feeling happy - large weddings have gone out of style here in Ga - They get married in a traveling suit and take a trip off somewhere - Marry at a church mostly (Mamma and Pappa got married at the Garvins' home) - You did not say that Mr Morris had married out in California - We thought it would be an easy matter for him there when Cora was here (Mr Morris was Sister Cora’s ex-husband.)- I am sorry you do not hear from her - I have replied to her last letter to me long since, but perhaps she did not get it - I hope you will be good to old Sis, as you call her - I leave it as my dieing request - I fear that crops will be short this year in Ga. for the lack of rain. People are becoming discouraged - Glad you have good seasons - We have clouds but little rain - Mr L’s (Lumpkin) health is very precarious - he complains of his head and is more and more unable to move around - I am better and more active than I ever expected to be anymore. You ask after your Uncle D’s family (Perhaps Dismuke? which was Grandma L’s maiden name) - I have not seen any of them in some time. They have had a death in the family, Tidies husband. Left her in good circumstances with 3 little ones to raise - his bro Jones lives with her - She is a thorough going woman - good woman – Bessie’s health is better. Aunt Della is badly broken down - Dave looks well and handsome - The Bookmart kin are pretty well and nice. Your Uncle Jacks wife has gone north to visit his relatives -well I suppose I shall have to quit calling you the little girl now. I hope you may enjoy a long and happy life, though I shall not be here to hear from you very much longer- You must be a very good wife- amiable and sweet tempered, as you will have everything that you desire without having to work and make it. (after all, she was marrying a rich Indian) Your lives have fallen in pleasant places. Write me soon again. I shall like to hear from you. Give my love to your Pa and Sisters.

Your Affectionate Grandma. S D Lumpkin.

Footnote: Documents - Scans family - My Scans - Scan 0002_3-4. 

Shortly after this letter was written, Mr. Lumpkin died, leaving Grandma Lumpkin alone. Grandpa Rosser brought his mother out to Indian Territory, but she didn’t live long. Grandmother’s “Old Sis” Cora married again, this time to a Doctor Glaze, and they moved to Idaho, where she opened a flower shop. They had a daughter together named Mildred. 

Cora Rosser Glaze, 1912


No comments:

Post a Comment